Thank you for your interest in the German-language subgroup of the Berlin chapter of the Booker Tea Reading Group. This subgroup has been meeting since 2012, and is currently a mix of German native speakers and non-native speakers who want to improve their German skills.
During 2017 we plan to meet on the second Sunday of each even-numbered month from 12 noon to 2 p.m. Changes will be posted below and/or discussed in the e-mail list. The discussions are held in private residences, so if you want to participate, you have to join the Berlin Chapter.
Books for this year are:
Sunday, 12 February 2017: Tauben fliegen auf by Melinda Nadj Abonji (Schweiz)
Sunday, 9 April 2017: Jericho: Eine Liebesgeschichte by Angelika Schrobsdorff (Deutschland)
Sunday, 11 June 2017 Sunday, 25 June 2017: Imperium by Christian Kracht (Schweiz) (date changed due to school holidays) Sunday, 13 August 2017 Sunday, 23 September 2017: Corpus Delicti by Juli Zeh (Deutschland) (date changed due to school holidays)
Sunday, 8 October 2017: Takeshis Haut by Lucy Fricke (Deutschland) Meeting at 18:00 in the evening.
Sunday, 10 December 2017: Wie der Soldat das Grammofon repariert by Saša Stanišić (Deutschland)
Below is a list of (some!) of the other books we’ve already read and discussed in German.
- In Plüschgewittern by Wolfgang Herrndorf
- Strom by Hannah Dübgen
- Er ist wieder da / Look who’s back by Timur Vermes; Jamie Bulloch (translator)
- Taxi by Karen Duve
- Die Biene und der Kurt by Robert Seethaler
- Wunderlich fährt nach Norden by Marion Brasch
- Alice / Alice by Judith Hermann; Margot Bettauer Dembo (translator)
- Animal triste by Monika Maron; Brigitte Goldstein (translator)
- Bestattung eines Hundes: Roman / Funeral for a Dog: A Novel by Thomas Pletzinger; Ross Benjamin (translator)
- Boxhagener Platz / A Square in East Berlin by Torsten Shulz; Harry Guest (translator)
- Eine Liebe aus nichts / A Love Made Out of Nothing by Barbara Honigmann; John Barrett (translator)
- Ich nannte ihn Krawatte / I Called Him Necktie by Milena Michiko Flašar; Sheila Dickie (translator)
- Klausen by Andreas Maier; Kenneth Northcott (translator)
- Landesbühne by Siegfried Lenz
- Mahlers Zeit by Daniel Kehlmann
- Rücken an Rücken / Back to Back by Julia Franck; Anthea Bell (translator)
- Der Schwimmer / The Swimmer by Zsuzsa Bank; Margot B. Dembo (translator)
- Das Seil by Stefan aus dem Siepen
- Soharas Reise / Zohara’s Journey by Barbara Honigmann; John Barrett (translator)
- Sternkinder / Star Children by Clara Asscher-Pinkhof; Terese Edelstein and Inez Smidt (translators)
- Ungefähre Landschaft / Unformed Landscape by Peter Stamm; Michael Hofmann (translator)
Remember, discussions for this subgroup will be in German, so good reading and conversation skills in the language are recommended. (And that’s the point, really.)