- 240g Unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 360g Dark Chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
- 290g Light muscovado sugar
- 4 tbsp water
- 5 large eggs (separated)
- A pinch of salt
- Cocoa for dusting
- Pre-heat the oven to 170˚C and prepare your baking tin.
- In a large bowl combine your chocolate and butter. Both should be sufficiently cut up into small pieces. At the same time mix the sugar and water into a sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Once boiling pour over the chocolate and butter until it is all melted together. (If you ignored the “cut it up into small pieces” directive, insert step 2a, melt mixture further over a double boiler until smooth.)
- Stir the egg yolks into the chocolate one at a time and reserve the whites in another bowl. Then whisk the whites and the salt until firm. Let the chocolate cool room temperature before folding in the whites.
- Pour 2/3 of the mixture into your cake tin and cook for 40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Then set aside until completely cool. Then pour the remaining mixture over and cook for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick shows a moist crumb. Set aside to cool and dust with cocoa and/or icing sugar. (Tip: To best dust a cake, use a tea ball. You get the right amount of dusting material with little mess and no lumps)
Make this cake and you will make yourself and anyone around you happy. It will keep for a couple of days.
Diet tags: Gluten free