Recipe: Cheesy Broccoli and Quinoa Casserole
Summary: Modified recipe below submitted by Molly Clayton. Original recipe can be found via the link above.
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus extra for casserole dish
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 carton of baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups vitamin D milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 20 oz fresh broccoli, lightly steamed, then cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup shredded 2% sharp cheddar cheese for mixing into casserole
- 1 cup shredded regular cheddar cheese for topping
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup raw quinoa boiled in 3 cups vegetable stock for 20 minutes)
- 1 ½ t salt and ½ t pepper
- Panko for topping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Butter casserole dish.
- In a large pot, sautee mushrroms, onion, and garlic.
- In a small pot, Melt 3 tablespoons butter and flour over medium heat until golden in color to make a quick roux. The roux should resemble the color of peanut butter.
- Add roux to mushrooms, onion, garlic, then add garlic powder, cayenne pepper, milk and vegetable stock. Add broccoli, 1 cup of the cheese and quinoa. Season with salt and pepper as indicated above, or to taste. I think it could have used more salt than I included, so next time I would try 2 teaspoons.
- Pour into buttered dish and top with 1 cup shredded Cheddar and panko. Bake until cheese is melted and golden, about 30 minutes.
For those that haven’t bought quinoa before, you find it usually in the “health food” section of the grocery store, or else by the dried beans and rice.
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 6-8