Recipe: Scalloped potatoes with three cheeses
Summary: Recipe submitted by Cindy Guthrie
- 3/4 cup (packed) grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 3/4 cup crumbled Danish blue cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/3 cup (packed) freshly grated Parmesan (about 1 1/4 ounces)
- 4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/4 inch-thick rounds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons (§ stick) butter
- 3 cups whole milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Mix cheddar cheese, blue cheese and Parmesan in small bowl.
- Arrange half of potatoes in prepared baking dish, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle with teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Sprinkle onion over, then flour. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle half of cheese mixture over. Top with remaining potatoes, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 2 tablespoons butter. Reserve remaining cheese.
- Bring milk to simmer in medium saucepan. Pour milk over potatoes (milk will not cover potatoes completely). Cover baking dish tightly with foil.
- Bake 45 minutes. Uncover dish (liquids in dish may look curdled); sprinkle potatoes with reserved cheese mixture. Bake uncovered until potatoes are tender and cheese is deep golden brown, about 45 minutes longer.
- (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Cover and rewarm in 375°F oven about 20 minutes.) Remove from oven; let stand 15 minutes before serving.
November 1999 Rick Rodgers
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 2 hour(s) 40 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Culinary tradition: USA (General)