Recipe: Susan’s Broccoli Salad
Summary: Korean Style Broccoli Salad (Fusion)
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Korean rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure roasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 inch knob of fresh ginger
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground red chili pepper chili flakes
- Broccoli: Heat water in stove top or electric steamer (or a large lidded pot with a colander, sieve, or strainer that can sit above water level).
- Wash broccoli florets in cold water then place into steamer. Steam until tender crisp (3 to 5 minutes).
- Sesame Seeds: Check for and discard stones and broken kernels (Usually only found in bulk product). Heat a dry skillet/pan over medium high heat, add sesame seeds, and toast until golden browned, stirring often. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Thin slice the garlic, then sliver each slice.
- Peel ginger and finely grate.
- Mix Dressing: Whisk soy sauce, vinegar, oil and honey together in a large bowl until until well mixed. Add ginger, garlic, and 1/2 the sesame seeds and mix well.
- Let stand at room temperature for at least 15 minutes to let the flavor develop.
- Final Mix: Add broccoli to dressing and toss. Let stand at room temperature for up to two hours, tossing every so often.
- Move broccoli to serving dish and pour the dressing from the bowl over it.
- Sprinkle with remaining sesame seed and chili flakes if desired.
Preparation time: 2 hour(s) 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Reduced carbohydrate, Gluten free
Culinary tradition: Korean / fusion