Recipe: Valerija’s Tea Cake
Summary: Chocolate Tea Cake
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 6 tablespoons loose Darjeeling tea
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 5 tablespoons loose Darjeeling tea
- 2/3 cup (6 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- To prepare cake, coat 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms of pans with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray; set aside.
- Pour 2/3 cup boiling water over 6 tablespoons tea leaves in a bowl; steep 5 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Combine 2/3 cup cocoa and 2/3 cup boiling water, stirring with a whisk. Cool in freezer 10 minutes, and stir in brewed tea, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Place granulated sugar, brown sugar, and butter in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add egg whites and egg, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour mixture and brewed tea mixture alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared cake pans; sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Carefully remove and discard wax paper. Cool completely on wire rack.
- To prepare icing, pour 1/2 cup boiling water over 5 tablespoons tea leaves in a bowl; steep 5 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Place cream cheese in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy (about 1 minute).
- Sift together powdered sugar and 1/2 cup cocoa. Gradually add cocoa mixture and 2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons brewed tea to cream cheese. Beat just until smooth. (Do not overbeat or icing will be too thin.) Discard any remaining tea.
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/2 cup icing. Top with another cake layer. Spread remaining icing over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with hazelnuts. Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.