Recipe: Spicy Red-Pepper And Eggplant Confit
Summary: Recipe submitted by Gretchen Schieber from the Washington D.C. group.
- 2 lb red bell peppers, tender-roasted
- 1 (1 1/2-lb) eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 (28-oz) can whole tomatoes in juice, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F (204 C)
- Cut peppers into 1-inch pieces. Toss together all ingredients in a large roasting pan, then spread evenly.
- Roast, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very tender, about 1 hour. Cool before serving.
This Mediterranean dish can be served with bread or crackers as a meze (appetizer), and it’s also great as a sandwich filling. Confit can be made 1 week ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature and stir before serving.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Diet tags: Reduced carbohydrate, Gluten free
Culinary tradition: Mediterranean