Nadia’s date cake recipe
Shared with members at the March 2019 meeting in Berlin, Germany.
- 1.5 cups seedless dates, chopped
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 125 g butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 cup whole wheat or spelt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg to taste
- chopped walnuts can put in the cake as well
- Boil water in a saucepan and add the chopped dates to it and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add baking soda, mix well and switch off the heat.
- Set aside for 15 minutes and puree to a fine paste.
- Mix the butter, and sugar until they are fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla to the mixer and continue to beat one after the other.
- Add the flour, salt, pureed dates, spices and baking powder and mix.
- Pour into a greased baking pan and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes 180°C.